Call us: 416-787-2569 | E-mail:

Commercial Insurance Toronto Logo

Learn About Ontario Auto Insurance

Mandatory Vehicle Coverage

To own and operate a vehicle in Ontario, commercial or not, you're required by law to have the following:

  • Third-party liability coverage: Protects you from civil lawsuits if you are responsible for an accident causing someone else's injuries or fatality. By law, you must have a minimum of $200,000 in third-party liability coverage, but higher limits are recommended.
  • Direct Compensation - Property Damage (DC-PD) Coverage: DCPD Allows you to claim for damage to your vehicle and its contents, in the case that you're involved in an accident where you are not entirely at fault, and at least one of the other vehicles involved has liability coverage through a company licensed in Ontario.
  • Uninsured automobile coverage: Covers you if you are injured or killed in the event an accident with an at-fault, uninsured driver. Additionally, damage to your vehicle is covered if caused by an identified, uninsured motorist.
  • Accident benefits: Provides benefits if you are injured or killed in an automobile accident, regardless of who is at fault. These benefits typically include:
    • Income replacement
    • Medical expenses
    • Rehabilitation expenses
    • Payments to non-earners who suffer a complete inability to carry on a normal life
    • Funeral expenses
    • Care expenses to primary caregivers who cannot continue in their role to a member of their household
    • Death benefits to survivors of someone who is killed

Extended Vehicle Coverage

In addition to the mandatory minimum coverages for vehicles in Ontario, you may choose to increase your third-party liability coverage or accident benefits. Optional insurance, known as endorsements, include:

  • Increased third-party liability coverage
  • Increased statutory accident benefits:
    • Increased income replacement
    • Increased medical, rehabilitation and attendant care benefits
    • Increased caregiver benefits
    • Increased housekeeping and home maintenance expenses
    • Increased dependant care benefits
    • Increased death and funeral benefits
    • Indexation of benefits to inflation
  • Loss or Damage Coverage against accidental loss or damage to your vehicle.
    • Specified perils: Covers loss or damage caused by fire; theft or attempted theft; lightning, windstorm, hail, or rising water; earthquake; explosion; riot or civil disturbance; falling or forced landing of aircraft or parts of aircraft; or the stranding, sinking, burning, derailment or collision of any kind of transport in, or upon which a described automobile is being carried on land or water .
    • Comprehensive: Covers losses, other than those covered by collision or upset (below), including:
      • Perils listed under Specified Perils
      • Falling or flying objects,
      • Missiles
      • Vandalism
    • Collision or upset coverage: Coverage against your vehicle tipping over, or collision with an object such as:
      • Another attached vehicle
      • The ground
      • Any object on the ground
    • All perils: Combines collision or upset and comprehensive coverage. Also covers loss or damage if caused while stolen by anyone living under the same roof, or while stolen by an employee who drives or services the vehicle

Questions about commercial vehicle insurance?

Let us help you find a commercial insurance policy that fits your needs and budget. Call us today: 416-787-2569

Request a Quote
Go to top of page